CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 01, 2008

Ice Storm



These are pictures of the ice storm that hit on December 10, 2007. The pics are of trees in our yard and our neighbors. I laid awake at around 3 am in the morning and kept listening to all the branches fall. It was eerie over the next couple days to hear branches and trees falling due to the weight of the ice.


We were lucky at home that we didn't lose power but only about 3 times for a total of about 30 minutes each time. Our town has fuel run generators to keep our power plant going. Even if we had lost power - we heat our house with a wood burner anyway and we have a gas stove - so we wouldn't have frozen and we wouldn't have starved. We'd might have died from boredom though. There was one point when the power went out that Sarah and I were playing Uno and we continued to play by candle light and flashlight. That was pretty interesting and kind of hard to tell blue and green apart, but we did it.


However, at the plant where I work we were without power from around 1 a.m. on December 10th until 6:45 p.m. on December 19th. From the 11th through the 14th I pretty much ran back and forth from home and the plant to take care of anything that came up, like payroll (pretty important huh???). Then the 17th through the 19th, they had my office all hooked up to a generator that they had running to the breaker box. Our phones were hooked up to the generator and my fax/copier was hooked up too. I was wearing coveralls and my heavy coat and boots to work and we used a propane tank heater to keep somewhat warm. It was NOT fun!!!
Anyway, we all survived and they got us up and running again. We did have a few friends who didn't get power back until December 24th.

1 comments:

Maria said...

Sadly, the entire time we were without power, I was mostly concerned with someone breaking in to my house. :( We were staying elsewhere due to the lack of power. Maybe next time, I'll drive north. LOL!